Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Get It Then Split It?


Retirement at 22? not a bad idea and I'm sure everyone would sign up for it as long as they had the financial backing to support it. Coming out of college, fresh off a National Championship win and being drafted 3rd overall and getting millions upon millions of dollars to play a game, sounds like the good life. I speak of non other than the quarterback of the Tennessee Titans, Vince Young.

There were reports saying that following Young's rookie season he was considering retirement based on family issues and him not having fun anymore. In an interview with NFL.com Young explained his reasoning behind his thoughts, "I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things."

But this raises the question of the rookie salary cap, and if there should be a set budget or limit a team can give a rookie right out of the gate. Recently the Atlanta Falcons gave their new rookie quarterback Matt Ryan a 6 year $72 million contract with over $30 million in guaranteed money. Many veterans have come out and said the money given to the kids coming out of college is absurd and should be toned down. With Young's career ending thoughts, for him its ok because he has enough money to live on for the rest of his life. Young was given a 5 year $58 million contract with over $25 million guaranteed when he was drafted in 2006.

Good news is Young will continue playing and will continue to try and bring the Titans back to glory like Steve McNair and Warren Moon did. (Moon with the Oilers) Young no longer is thinking about retirement thanking those close to him get over his early issues. "My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

"I have a stronger circle," said the Tennessee quarterback. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence."

No comments: