Tuesday, June 22, 2010

NBA Draft - The Busts


As the 2010 NBA Draft is about 48 hours away, many names are circulating to fill out the lottery.

This year college basketball was exciting and many players left their mark, others skated by with their name, and some regressed tremendously.

There are names in this year's draft that I am almost certain will fail in the NBA, for reasons that they simply are not ready, their game does not translate to the next level or they simply are not NBA material.

I have said numerous times that I believe the biggest bust in this year's draft will be North Carolina Tar Heels forward Ed Davis.

Aside from missing time with an injured wrist, he is young, frail, and has beyond a limited offensive game. His defensive prowess is what is carrying him in this draft and I feel that NBA GM's are blinded by his elusive potential.

Daniel Orton, forward from Kentucky has been touted as going anywhere from pick 10-25. Watching him play all season makes me scratch my head as to what is desired by NBA GM's. Maybe they think he can flourish with a kick in the butt but his offense and defense left me baffled when I heard he was entering the draft. Now he is being listed as a 1st rounder, his game I can not see do well in the NBA.

West Virginia combo guard Devin EBanks is listed as a mid tier 1st round pick, but his skill set is not NBA material. His inconsistency is very apparent, but it is not just on one game off the other, his stretched lasted long periods of time where he would be bad. His length is a major plus but the rest of his abilities make him a bust in the NBA.

Cincinnati Bearcats stud one and done guard Lance Stephenson is next on my list. A player who I thought needed to go back to college for another year, will now be thrown into the NBA. His game was exposed in college, he couldn't take over a game and his shooting was sub par. He will have to rely on his athleticism but I feel it will be a long time before he becomes a good role player.

The NBA Draft is on Thursday at 7pm, which team will take the next step to a championship, and which one will write the next chapter in the Sam Bowie bust book.

No comments: